by Garance






How do you take your travel photos? Do you carry a big DSLR, with lots of lenses? Do you instagram? Or something in between? Exploring through Tumblr hashtags prior to my trip to Vietnam has left me wondering what to do.

My last trip, I carried a little freezeproof/waterproof/shockproof/apoalypse-proof point and shoot, which was great for the slopes, the hot tub and ridiculous amazing views I was trying to shoot by ducking under barrier fencing and leaning into icy valleys. In none of these places would I have been carrying my DSLR, and I now have photos of moments I wouldn't otherwise have captured.


Many other places I go, I'm carrying my phone, equipped with Instagram. Here are some photos from places that aren't home.


 
Wandering around Vancouver

I think it makes for more playful and quirky photos, which are kind of unique, and 'outside the box'.




Leaves in Hanhdorf


And sometimes, you can get some pretty stunning results too.


Largs Bay- South Australia


I don't think I'll be carting a big camera around South East Asia, and I think I'll be better off, and more likely to capture the more personal, original side of my travels. But I know there will always be pangs of jealousy that I won't be equipped to capture something like this:

Isle of Capri - Blue Glow
From here





What do you think? Do you travel with a big photography rig? Do you think I need to reconsider?